Raw Chocolate is all the proof that I need that Faeries are real.
Raw dark chocolate is the purest and most divine health food on the planet. It exudes pure joy in a way that can only be healing. Not to mention the plethora of actual health benefits:
- Extremely high antioxidant levels: “Cornell University discovered that Cocoa has twice the antioxidants of red wine, and up to three times those found in green tea.”
- High ORAC value from 28,000 on up. (An Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) score is a test tube analysis that measures the antioxidant levels of food and other chemical substances. If a food has a high ORAC score, then it means the food is high in antioxidants. The antioxidant’s strength is its ability to eliminate oxygen free radicals. With the ORAC score, a higher score means the food is better at helping us fight diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Definition courtesy of WiseGeek.com, thanks!)
- More than 300 minerals and properties have been identified in raw organic chocolate. Cacao contains copper, manganese, zinc, sulphur, and is rich in B –vitamins.
- Lowers blood pressure
- Increases energy, alertness, creativity, and improves mood.
- Contains very little caffeine
- Is a major source of magnesium, which helps your heart.
- Rich in Flavonoids which has a cancer-fighting antioxidant result
- Promotes healthy blood flow thereby reducing the risk of strokes, blood clots, and heart attacks
- Increased Longevity: Researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health found that those who eat chocolate up to three times each month live almost a year longer than those who overindulge or eat junk food.
- Cocoa is reported to help brain function. The magnesium is essential for maintaining brain function. Raw chocolate is also composed of brain functioning elements such as tryptophan and anandamide
- Theobromine in cocoa has been noted as calming the coughing reflex thereby helping to stop coughing.
- Can reduce cholesterol by 5-10 percent
- Decreases menopause and PMS symptoms
- Helps control appetite and supports weight loss
So, even if you don’t believe any of the laundry list of benefits, the following recipe for raw chocolate truffles will leave you believing that the faeries are real and that they love you. Life is indeed good.
Raw Cacao Truffles Makes 10
¼ Organic vanilla bean, cut into small pieces
½ oz Organic raw almonds
10 Organic Medjool Dates, seeds removed and discarded
1/2T Organic raw almond butter
I buy my organic fair trade cacao nibs and powder from Mountain Rose Herbs. They are an amazing company that truly serves the planet and all of us who are lucky enough to live here.
Process first 3 ingredients in a food processor until consistency is a fine meal. Add the rest of the ingredients and process just until it comes together. Do not process for too long as the blade will heat up and begin to denature the oils in the cacao and coconut, diminish the health properties and cause the oils to potentially separate from the mix. Roll into tablespoon sized balls and roll in shredded raw unsweetened coconut. Store in the refrigerator if you think that they will actually last that long.
Beware: The theobromine in raw chocolate is highly toxic and can be fatal to our beloved canine companions. Please, keep these truffles out of the reach of your precious pooches. If you wanted to make a delightful treat for your doggie to eat while you enjoyed these truffles you could make the same recipe, replacing the raw cacao nibs and powder with raw carob nibs and powder… howls of happiness, just be sure you don’t confuse them!